Good reads, September part two


«
  1. The more I buy, the more I think I need. The more I online shop, the more ads I see for cute dresses I might like to buy… The more I click on cute dresses, the more inadequate my current dresses feel. Doesn’t help that all of the models are size 0.
  2. The more I buy, the more money I spend. This is the obvious frugality argument and it’s one that’s well-hashed here on Frugalwoods. You know I love my captain obvious phrase: “The easiest way to save money is to just not buy anything.”
  3. The more I buy, the more stuff cluttering my life and mind. As established, I just gave away a metric ton of clothing. I don’t want to re-start bringing unnecessary clothes into my house only to have to later comb through and give them away. The other week I bought what I thought was a cute dress at a yard sale for $1. So, just a dollar and not much time spent deliberating over it, which negates reasons #1 and #2. But what it doesn’t negate is #3. I had to jam it into my closet and, as I heaved hangers aside, I knew I shouldn’t have bought it.
  4. The more I buy, the less satisfied I am. Consuming puts me on the carousel of never enough. Once I start, it’s hard to stop. It’s so easy to get myself into the mindset of “I’ll just buy one more dress and then, THEN I’ll be done. Then I’ll be all set. Then I’ll be happy.” That’s a tough treadmill to get off. When do I reach enough? When am I wearing the perfect dress that’ll help me feel perfectly positive about my body? When will buying equal happiness? I think we all know the answer to that.

Comments

Popular Posts